Faith & Ministry


John Whiteford has retired after 19 years of faithful and friendly service. His farewell party was held on Friday 13th May 2016 and his last service on Sunday 15th May 2016. We wish him well.

The Interim Moderator is Raymond Jenkins, who is an Elder and Pastoral Assistant at King’s Park Parish Church.  Our locum is Katie Morrison, a reader of the Church of Scotland.  She will be leading worship for us regularly and undertaking pastoral duties.

What We Believe

Newlands South is a congregation that is part of Church of Scotland. It is Presbyterian in the way it is governed and we try to inspire the people in the community with the Good News of Jesus Christ through lively worship, concern for others, nurturing people in the faith and serving the community.

Exploring Our Faith

The minister is happy to meet with anyone who is interested in finding out about faith and church membership. From time to time an enquirers group meets and issues of life and faith are looked at. Bible study groups take place in our own church fellowship and with other churches. These are open to all. A nurture group looks at how the church might make real the gospel message in ways that are relevant and helpful to people.

Our History

The Congregation was established in 1899; at that time, Newlands was just starting to develop as a suburb of Glasgow.

Places of worship were needed to serve the expanding population and it was the then United Presbyterian Church that set down roots in Newlands.

The United Presbyterian Church united with the Free Church in 1900, to become the United Free Church. In 1929, the United Free Church united with the Church of Scotland. Thus, the schisms in the history of the reformed Church in Scotland, commencing with the first secession in 1733, came full circle.

In Newlands, the sanctuary we see today, completed in 1902, is a tribute to the vision of the original members. Regular worship started in a lesser building in 1900.

This is now the MacMillan Hall, so named after our first minister. John Whiteford was the sixth to hold the charge.

In the 1960s, the congregation established an informal link with Bridgeton, which continues to this day.